post-new [was: Re: query on a subset of messages ?]

Sebastien Binet binet at cern.ch
Tue Jul 10 02:59:39 PDT 2012

Jani Nikula <jani at nikula.org> writes:

> On Jul 9, 2012 8:12 PM, "Jameson Graef Rollins" <jrollins at finestructure.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 09 2012, Sebastien Binet <binet at cern.ch> wrote:
>> > hum... is post-new supposed to be run even if there is no new message ?
>>
>> Hi, Sebastian.  Yes, I think it runs regardless if there are any new
>> messages or not.
>
> That's correct; only errors in notmuch new cause post-new hook to be
> skipped.

ok. I thought using the post-new hook would have saved some i/o
resources over my current setup:
 offlineimap.postsynchook = ~/emacs/notmuch-lib/notmuch-tag.sh

where notmuch-tag.sh is (in pseudo-code):
##
/usr/bin/notmuch new

for tag,query in tag-queries:
  tag_new $tag $query

##

is there any advantage of using post-new compared to this setup ?

-s