Can't compile notmuch-delivery

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Jun 1 11:17:26 PDT 2012

Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> writes:

> I don't know, but this is one of the reasons I'm against having
> "contrib" stuff in the notmuch repo.  If it's not part of the stuff
> we're willing to release in source tarballs or binary packages then it
> should probably be in a separate repo.

Just to be clear, ./contrib currently is in the source tarballs, and at
least notmuch-mutt is included in a binary package for debian.

I don't disagree that status is kindof odd, but I don't see the stuff in
contrib as being that different in practice from the bindings. In both
cases we have had incidences of bitrot. The python bindings are
currently not a problem, but both the ruby and go bindings stopped
working at all recently.

Ideally everything would be automated testable, but this is not the case
right now. Somebody (Jani?) mentioned on irc that having things
integrated into the toplevel build system (presumably as an optional
target) would be a start.

I guess we could have some protocol where a "subsystem maintainer" has
to sign off before the release, or we just don't export it to the
release tarball. But then, it would slow the release process down,
especially for point (bugfix) release.