search summary and exclusions

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon May 28 10:03:35 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 28 2012, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exclusions don't work the way I expected with the search command and
> --output=summary.  I would like messages with excluded tags to be
> treated as if they don't exist at all, but currently:
>
>   * excluded messages are counted towards the "total"
>   * excluded tags are included in the "tags" set
>
> Are these deliberate?  Especially the second point seems to conflict
> with search --output=tags, which doesn't show excluded tags.

Hi, Peter.  Can you explain more what you mean?  I'm not sure what your
two bullets have to do with --output=summary.  Messages are counted with
the count subcommand, and tags are shown with search --output=tags,
neither of which have anything to do with --output=summary, and both of
which accept the exclude flag:

notmuch count --exclude=true '*'
notmuch search --output=tags --exclude=true '*'

Maybe you can give a clearer explanation of what your issue is.
Examples help.

jamie.