FreeBSD Support Patches

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Fri May 25 07:15:57 PDT 2012

Hi Mike.

Mike Kelly <pioto at pioto.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> These patches add some changes necessary for a clean build on FreeBSD,
> and for most of the tests to pass.
>
> Also mixed in are a few patches to disable emacs tests when you don't
> have emacs, along with tests that depend upon emacs. I could split those
> off onto a separate branch if required.

Why do we need to explicitly declare Emacs dependency for tests?  There
should be no need for it.  We have "implicit" dependencies which are
declared once (see test_declare_external_prereq calls at the end of
test-lib.sh) and are automatically handled when a test tries to use a
missing binary.  Explicit dependencies are hard to maintain (e.g. your
patch adds explicit emacs dependency for crypto test but misses gpg).
With rare exceptions we should not use explicit dependencies.

Regards,
  Dmitry