Sending from multiple accounts

Doug Penner darwinsurvivor at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:43:36 PDT 2012

I am in the process of trying to migrate from alpine (which handles
separate accounts *very* distinctly) to notmuch (which combines them). I
have no problem with incoming e-mails being combined (actually looking
forward to it) but am having a little trouble configuring outgoing e-mails
to work correctly.

I am currently using the vim interface (never like emacs, sorry) and have
noticed that when replying, notmuch correctly uses the appropriate e-mail
address (as defined in the To: or Cc: fields of the original), but does
not have the ability to change the sender's "name".

Ex: My "name" for my gmail account is "Doug Penner" (as you probably
noticed with this on), but I also manage some other accounts where I do
not go by this name. I manage a local organization's e-mail and need my
sending name to be non-personal (ex: "This organization's Webmaster"). I
can manually change the name before sending, but this gets very
repetitive and annoying.

Is there any way to add names to the "alternate e-mails" setting in the
.notmuch-config file? I've tried switching to the standard "My Name"
<e-mail> and it then completely fails to even detect that e-mail address
as mine.

One other thing, I didn't see any keybindings in the vim interface for
"forwarding" an e-mail.

~Doug