[ANN] New awesome vim plug-in using Ruby bindings

Karl Harris karlh626 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:15:11 PDT 2012

I am trying the notmuch-vim-ruby plugin for the first time.  Previously, I
had been using the vim plugin that comes with notmuch.

If I type :NotMuchR in vim, I get the following error messages:
------------------
Error detected while processing function <SNR>19_NotMuchR:
line  304:
LoadError: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/x86_64-linux/notmuch.so: undefined
symbol: _ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE -
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/x86_64-linux/no
tmuch.so
Error detected while processing function
<SNR>19_NotMuchR..<SNR>19_folders..<SNR>19_new_buffer:
line    6:
NoMethodError: undefined method `push' for nil:NilClass
Error detected while processing function <SNR>19_NotMuchR..<SNR>19_folders:
line    2:
NoMethodError: undefined method `folders_render' for main:Object
-------------

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start troubleshooting
this?  In the past, I have had issues in other ruby applications that dealt
with ruby versions.  Could this be an issue?

TIA

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Felipe Contreras <
felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I don't know if you did anything special to get the normal plug-in to
> >> work. Maybe you are doing 'source ~/.vim/plugin/notmuch.vim' directly
> >> in your .vimrc, if so, you can try to do the same with notmuch vim
> >> ruby. What I have is 'filetype plugin on'.
> >
> > After banging my head against the wall a bit more, I realised what
> > should have been obvious from the beginning: I need to have vim built
> > with ruby support.  So after grabbing the vim source and
> >
> >    ./configure --enable-rubyinterp
> >
> > I am now happily writing this from notmuch-ruby.  As obvious as this
> > should have been, do you think it deserves a short sentence at the top
> > of the == install == section of your README?
>
> All right, done :)
>
> --
> Felipe Contreras

Karl Harris