[Patch v2 0/3] emacs: allow show to colour based on tags and flags

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Tue May 1 17:30:34 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29 2012, Austin Clements <amdragon at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I haven't really looked at this series yet, but I do have a quick
> high-level question.  Why use separate customization variables for the
> colors in search and show mode?  Wouldn't it make more sense to set
> the colors just once and use them in both modes?

I thought about this myself as soon as I read the patch.  I think I
would always want the colors to match, so it would make sense to me to
set them in one place.

> BTW, I like how this clearly distinguishes tags and flags.  I wonder
> if we could transition to flags for some information that's current
> shoe-horned into tags but actually represents immutable information
> about a message (attachment, signed, and encrypted or so).

Yes!  As Austin probably remembers, we've discussed this before.  I
definitely agree that it makes sense to somehow distinguish "immutable"
information that is a fundamental, unchanging/able property of the
message, and it might be nice to look ahead to that here.

jamie.