[RFC] vim plugin rewrite II

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:42:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM,  <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:
>> branch vim. Simply copy vim/plugin/{nm_vim.py,notmuch-vimpy.vim} to the
>> vim plugins dir and vim/syntax/{nm_vimpy*} to the vim syntax dir and run
>> :NMVimpy() in vim. You'll need vim with python support and
>> python-notmuch bindings.
>
> I gave this a try, copying those files makes vim crash for me.
>
> I probably need to install notmuch's python bindings, but either way
> it shouldn't crash.

All right, with the bindings it works, but if it cannot find the
database, it crashes too.

And this slows by 5 times the startup time of vim for me:

vim -c 'quit'  0.47s user 0.02s system 99% cpu 0.501 total
vim -c 'quit'  0.08s user 0.01s system 96% cpu 0.092 total

It is interesting, but I personally I would not use if it's going to
slow vim for everything else, there must be a way to solve that. Also,
would be nice if you rebased your branch on top of the latest release.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras