[WIP 0/2] Thread based searching

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sat Apr 14 12:15:09 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20 2012, Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It implements a very crude form of thread based search: the user can
> ask for all the threads that have a message matching the primary query
> and have a (possibly different) message matching a secondary query.
>
> For example notmuch search --secondary-search from:A :AND: from:B
> returns all threads that have a message from A and a message from B.

Hey, Mark.  I think this is a useful idea, but I think the
implementation is more complicated than it needs to be.  I would rather
just have a switch that allows me to search by thread, instead of by
message.  Something like just --by-thread would work for me.

I guess it might be nice to have such fined grain control to specify
independent search terms for both messages and threads simultaneously,
but I really don't think I would ever use such capabilities, and the
additional syntax is a little confusing.  But I certainly would use the
ability to search entire threads instead of just messages.

jamie.