Why not tags inside messages?

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Sat Apr 7 10:35:15 PDT 2012

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 18:46:03 +0200, David Belohrad <david at belohrad.ch> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd love to use notmuch with offline imap  to work rather on local
> copy of messages, than using remote notmuch, which is slightly slower
> due to bandwidth limitation of my vdsl line. There is however
> fundamental problem of syncing flags between two instances of
> notmuch. So my question is, whether it would be possible, when tagging
> message, to store the tag as well in the message itself. Might this
> help to sync across multiple instances?

From my POV, there are two problems here.

First is that storing tags in multiple places (one in db and once in
each message copy) leads to the question of which set of tags is
authoritative.  Syncing those tags is additional complexity.  And as a
mail moves to another system with a different notmuch db, what happens
to the tags?

Second is that your tags might then be public because
forwarding/replying to a message will, depending on your mail client,
also get included.

> Another thing is, that I'd love to have native android app working
> over remote notmuch to work as my email agent. Is there anything like
> this? I guess not...

Not that I'm aware of, but if anybody is working on this, I'd love to
know and see if I can help.