Message deletion wisdom

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Fri Apr 6 13:17:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 12:20:43 -0400, Antoine Beaupré <anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx> wrote:
> Finally, I want to voice that I feel a "delete" key, even if it doesn't
> delete mails, seems like an important part of a mail user
> agent. Archiving mail is one thing, but for the love and respect of
> sysadmins and the infrastructure they maintain, please consider adding
> at least a way to *tag* those deleted emails.
>
> Having the above keys being defined as standard in notmuch don't seem
> like much to ask.
>
> This may be a dissenting view here, but your mail is not that
> important. :P

Hear! Hear!

I also would like to have some natural way to mark things as "I never
expect to look at this again".  Do I really need to keep track of every
vacation and calendar notice?  Or every logfile I have my infrastructure
email to me, that doesn't really need to be in email, but was easily
shoehorned into the existing notification/logging side effects of mail?
My infrastructure is building new models for unit-level testing daily, I
don't need to keep track of every model for years, and I have been using
notmuch for years. Hmm, December 2009, it has been a while. :)

I do set up a deleted tag for my own use, but it would be nice if that
were viewed as a little more natural use case by the software from the
./configure script.  Yes Virginia, notmuch comes with NotMuch of a box.

Thanks,
-Mark