Handling of symlinked maildirs?

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Tue Apr 3 13:35:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 10:54:48 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02 2012, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Im sorting my mailing lists with generic maildrop rules like this one:
> >
> >     if (/^List-Id:.*<debian-(.*)\.lists.debian.org>/)
> >         to Maildir/.debian.$MATCH1/
> >
> > However, I'm subscribed to a *lot* of mailing lists and in order to keep
> > my folder view sane I use symlinks to conflate some of them, e.g.
> >
> > .debian.devel-announce -> .debian.devel
> >
> > This works well since mutt simply ignores the symlink(s) so I don't even
> > need to exclude them in the config, but it seems that notmuch does index
> > each of the symlinks as a separate folder[1].
> >
> > Does it make sense to have this configurable or even completely exclude
> > the symlinks?
>
> Hey, Andrei.  I would say that if you have a compelling reason that
> notmuch should be able to ignore symlinked directories then it maybe
> makes sense to have it configurable.  However, I must say that I have
> completely dropped the whole folder concept myself since I find it
> totally redundant with notmuch's tagging and searching capabilities.

Please don't exclude the indexing of symlinks in notmuch.  I have a
fairly restricted IT environment at work, where I have chosen to symlink
all my maildirs to other disks so that they appear in my home directory
but do not fill my home disk quota every day.  Often my different
maildirs are to make my non-notmuch mail viewing slightly tolerable.

There was a configuration option (new.ignore) added to 0.12 that lets
one specify names of things not to index. That may be enough to do what
you want, although not as automatic as just pitching all symlinks while
indexing.

Thanks,

-Mark