Handling of symlinked maildirs?

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:28:28 PDT 2012

Hi,

Im sorting my mailing lists with generic maildrop rules like this one:

    if (/^List-Id:.*<debian-(.*)\.lists.debian.org>/)
        to Maildir/.debian.$MATCH1/

However, I'm subscribed to a *lot* of mailing lists and in order to keep
my folder view sane I use symlinks to conflate some of them, e.g.

.debian.devel-announce -> .debian.devel

This works well since mutt simply ignores the symlink(s) so I don't even
need to exclude them in the config, but it seems that notmuch does index
each of the symlinks as a separate folder[1].

Does it make sense to have this configurable or even completely exclude
the symlinks?

On a somewhat related note, unless I'm missing something, notmuch is
currently indexing only a few header fields, not including List-Id, and
there is no way to add custom fields. Am I correct?

The reason I'm asking is that in theory one could completely drop any
sorting (just drop all mail in one folder) and use something like
'list-id: debian-devel' instead.

Yes, I'm aware that one could work around it by using To:/Cc:, but I'd
like to distinguish between messages received via the mailing list or
directly to my private address, otherwise I'd be using Gmail for
everything anyway :)

[1] this also causes mutt-notmuch to generate a lot of errors when it
tries to symlink the same message twice to the cache maildir.

Kind regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)