Questions from a user new to notmuch

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Sat Mar 24 05:17:10 PDT 2012

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:04:48 +0000, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Quoting Austin Clements (2012-03-22 22:39:07)
> >> 2. I received a message that was addressed to a distribution group and
> >>    tried to reply.  Because the TO: address is not my address, notmuch
> >>    fails to guess the proper FROM: address to set.  Is there a way to
> >>    handle this use case?  This is with the emacs notmuch client.
> >
> >Not in general, since notmuch doesn't know where the mail was
> >addressed to.  I believe some people have solved problems like this
> >using Emacs hooks, but I don't know the details.
>
> Does the notmuch CLI not use the 'Delivered-To' header for this?

To decide which from address to use for replying, the CLI (and therefore
emacs ui) looks for primary and other email addresses in the
reply-to/from, to, cc, bcc, envelope-to, x-original-to, and finally
received headers, in this order, before falling back to just using
primary email.

If someone is interested (read: I'm too busy right now), and it's
desirable, it would be a one-liner to add delivered-to in the to_headers
array in guess_from_received_header() in notmuch-reply.c. Plus a few
dozen lines of test code. ;)

BR,
Jani.