Questions from a user new to notmuch

Austin Clements amdragon at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 22 15:39:07 PDT 2012

Quoth Kyle Sexton on Mar 21 at 10:21 pm:
> I've been playing with notmuch for a couple days and am impressed so
> far.  The virtual folder concept is taking some getting accustomed to
> but I see the inherent flexibility.  Now, some new user questions. :)

Glad you're enjoying it!

> 1. Using offlineimap to store mail into a Maildir, is it safe to move an
>    already indexed message to a different folder from some other client?

Yes, mostly.  You'll have to run notmuch new for notmuch to detect the
move, but it will detect it as a move.  I say "mostly" because until
you run notmuch new, notmuch won't find the message file, so it won't
be able to display the message and won't be able to synchronize any
tag changes to its maildir flags.

> 2. I received a message that was addressed to a distribution group and
>    tried to reply.  Because the TO: address is not my address, notmuch
>    fails to guess the proper FROM: address to set.  Is there a way to
>    handle this use case?  This is with the emacs notmuch client.

Not in general, since notmuch doesn't know where the mail was
addressed to.  I believe some people have solved problems like this
using Emacs hooks, but I don't know the details.

> 3. The emacs news Gnus client supports Gravatar images for contacts, is
>    that something that can be done w/ the emacs notmuch reader?

Not in mainline notmuch, but dme has some toy code for this.
  http://dme.org/data/images/2010-11-30-174357_1920x1200_scrot.png
I don't know if it still works (or if there's a text copy of the code
anywhere!), though at a glance it looks like it probably will.