[RFC] http://notmuchmail.org/searching/ [was: Re: Improving notmuch query documentation]

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:29:52 PDT 2012

On Vi, 16 mar 12, 13:52:35, David Bremner wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:30:53 +0200, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm less worried about the length of the documentation than about
> fragmentation. So I think if something is reference material, it should
> go in the man pages, or at least ship with notmuch.

What I mean is that 'notmuch help search-terms' is too verbose. IMHO
there should be very good reasons to have it longer than 20 lines or so.
Instead it's the entire section 'SEARCH SYNTAX' from the manpage.

This opinion is based also on what I see around at other terminal
applications. The '--help' is seldom longer than a few lines and just
lists the available options and parameters (more like a refresher). The
manpage then explains them in more detail.

As I see it, the manpage (specifically section 'SEARCH SYNTAX' needs to
be expanded somewhat and 'help search-terms' shortened (a lot).

Does this make sense?

Kind regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)