[alot] mails tagged 'killed' reappearing

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 02:04:21 PST 2012

Hi Phil,

Quoting Philippe LeCavalier (2012-03-03 18:37:32)
>I can't tell if it's _all_ killed mails but I can say for sure that some
>tagged mails reappear in the inbox despite them tagged 'killed' and the
>search mode filter is inbox AND NOT tag:killed.

I presume by reappear you mean that once you receive another mail of that thread,
the thread ends up in your inbox again?

You should be aware that tag "killed" is not special in any kind, nor is "inbox":
They are just strings attached to mails that make it easier for you to filter
your mailboxes.

The feature you might expect: threads tagged "killed" once will never pop up in your inbox
is not a feature of notmuch or alot; it *might* be a feature of your tagging script
if you decide to organize your mails like that.

I can highly recommend Justus' "afew" tagging script https://github.com/teythoon/afew,
which can be configured to provide above mentioned functionality among other things.
For other solutions have a look at http://notmuchmail.org/initial_tagging/.

Best,
/p