notmuch as a shared object aka library knigge

Justus Winter 4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Feb 23 17:04:52 PST 2012

Quoting David Bremner (2012-02-24 01:29:36)
>On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:22:00 +0100, Justus Winter <4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>
>> That wasn't meant to sound as harsh as it probably did. I seriously
>> hope that someone is around who enjoys to hack on the c/c++ part of
>> the library and is willing fix problems in it.
>
>Luckily I deleted my snarky reply ;).

*phew* ;)

>> And I worked around the two functions (that I know of) that call
>> exit(3) by conditionally raising exceptions in the python bindings,
>> but this is only meant as a intermediate fix, a hack that should be
>> removed as soon as the library is fixed.
>
>Can you make test cases to document exactly when internal errors are
>occuring in the library? Somehow it seems like the CLI is not triggering
>them. It might help clarify the discussion and/or motivate people to fix
>them.

I did ;) I provided a python program in my original mail for
Database.get_directory aka notmuch_database_get_directory and the one
for Database.find_message_by_filename aka
notmuch_database_find_message_by_filename can be trivially derived
from it (though you need a path to a mail within your maildir). It
should be straight forward to port those to c if you want to.

Justus