nomuch_addresses.py

Jesse Rosenthal jrosenthal at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 21 08:33:38 PST 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:53:06 +0100, Daniel Schoepe <daniel at schoepe.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:15:09 -0000, Justus Winter <4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> The reason I mentioned nottoomuch-addresses at all, is that completion
> itself is _a lot_ faster (at least for me), compared to
> addrlookup. According to the wiki, notmuch-addresses.py is even slower
> than addrlookup, so I thought (and still think) that it was worth
> mentioning. Of course, one could rewrite the database-generation part in
> python using the bindings, but I personally don't think it's that
> necessary.

I'm not sure what speed comparisons were being used -- I think it was
Sebastian comparing vala to python. In any case, using
notmuch_addresses.py to look up a common prefix ("Jes") on a slowish
computer takes 0.2 seconds. So I'm not sure if the speed is all that
much of an issue. It might be a question of cache temperature, though --
it'll probably take longer the first time you run it. Still, even trying
something out on a cold cache, it seems to be about a second.

I guess the question is whether having a second database is worth those
extra fractions of a second. I could totally see how it would be for
some.