notmuch as a shared object aka library knigge

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 21 07:35:42 PST 2012

Hi all,

Those of you with long enough backlog on the list to remember my rant (id:20110626202733.GA26837 at brick)
can guess my opion on this matter but just to be sure..

I am not much of an expert on libnotmuch internals but am using the python bindings extensively.
It feels super-strange using a python module that possibly writes to stderr or any other descriptor
without me explicitly telling it to.
Also, if the library segfauls or calls exit, it essentially rips out the python interpreter underneath my code
without me being able to do any proper error handling.

I know that error handling on a library level is hard, juggling around with bare C, talloc and Xapian.
But i can only strongly encourage any rewrite that ends in the python bindings behaving more pythonic!

Cheers,
/p