search by date range

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Thu Feb 16 11:39:04 PST 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:58:00 -0500, Philippe LeCavalier <support at plecavalier.com> wrote:
> I really like searching my inde by date and I came across a post that I
> can't seems to find for the life of me regarding the functionality of
> doing such a thing. I'll I'm left with is this[1] and I can't figure out
> what the heck it is. I do know that what it does do is limit mail from
> two weeks back to present. I suppose the omition at .. implies present
> but what the number represent and how to I play with that?

Hi Philippe -

Out of the box you have the date search syntax described in 'man
notmuch-search-terms', i.e. specifying a date range in terms of
timestamps. Not very user friendly, but can be helped a little by using
date(1) to produce the timestamps. See the man page.

Quite some time ago I posted patches to add gnulib date search, but the
gnulib semantics, while compatible with other GNU programs, are a bit
awkward for the needs of notmuch. Plus it's plenty of code. See
id:"cover.1312964528.git.jani at nikula.org" for the patches (they may not
apply anymore though).

Finally, I've been working on adding support for a decent date range
search. It still needs some polish and tests, but seeing the demand,
perhaps I should just post the patches and see what happens.

BR,
Jani.