RFC notmuch-pick: an emacs threaded message view with split-pane

Daniel Schoepe daniel at schoepe.org
Sun Feb 12 12:59:39 PST 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:46:36 -0800, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> Hey, Mark.  I really like the idea, since I've been looking for
> something like this for a while, but there's something I'm confused
> about.  Is this meant to replace notmuch-search, or notmuch-show?  I had
> been hoping for a notmuch *show* replacement that shows the nice tree
> view for the thread, with a single message view below.  But it sounds
> like you're meant to be replacing notmuch search?  That seems confusing
> to me, particularly in light of the big performance hit you describe.

As far as I can tell, it is intended as a third option and can be used
for both, viewing all messages matching a search in a tree structure
(with a pane for an individual message) as in most other mail clients
(mutt, thunderbird, Gnus, etc.) and viewing a single thread in the
manner you described.

This has the added bonus, that it can be offered _in addition_ to show
in search, since I wouldn't want to give up the current
search-view. notmuch-show might also be preferred by some users (due to
its similarity to sup and gmail). Of course, this would mean that we
would have to maintain threading capabilities for two modes. (It relies
on show for displaying a single message, so that part is not
duplicated).

Cheers,
Daniel