For gmail how do you setup notmuch mail ?...

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Wed Feb 8 02:00:18 PST 2012

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:15:59 -0000, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Quoting Alex Botero-Lowry (2012-02-08 08:24:51)
> >    I'm using a similar setup.  An inconvenience with the setup is that I have
> >    various filters in gmail that filter, e.g., mailing list mails by skipping
> >    the gmail inbox and applying specific tags. ...
> >    Ideally, I'd like a view in notmuch that shows the same messages as the
> >    gmail inbox.  Is there a way to accomplish this?
> >    - b
>
> You could sync every subfolder *but* "All Mail" instead of just this
> folder: Gmail tags are available as imap folders. You can then tune
> your tagging filters to sort by folder: queries.

That's a good alternative only if you have relatively few messages that
have many gmail labels assigned to them. Otherwise you end up syncing
the same messages many times through many IMAP folders (each
corresponding to one label).

My approach is basically to reproduce the gmail filters as saved
searches in emacs. The messages need not have tags. YMMV.

Jani.