For gmail how do you setup notmuch mail ?...

Bhaskara Marthi bhaskara at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:19:34 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Jani Nikula <jani at nikula.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 09:15:16 +0000, David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 03:39:23 -0500, don warner saklad <
> don.saklad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > a) For gmail how do you setup notmuch mail ?...
> > >
> > > b) Any workarounds?
> > >
> > > c) Any kludges?
>
> I'll describe my own setup for using notmuch with gmail. I don't pretend
> it will work for everyone, but you might find some bits of it useful.
>
> I don't even try to sync notmuch tags and gmail labels (because I rarely
> use the labels or the web interface anyway), but I do get sync for
> "unread" and "flagged" (gmail and Android "starred"). You'll need
> maildir.synchronize_flags = true in your ~/.notmuch-config for this.

I'm using a similar setup.  An inconvenience with the setup is that I have
various filters in gmail that filter, e.g., mailing list mails by skipping
the gmail inbox and applying specific tags.  As a result when I look at my
gmail inbox, I don't see these (many) mailing list messages.  With
offlineimap+notmuch, however, since it just gets all the messages from
[Gmail]/All Mail, it has no way of distinguishing between these two classes
of messages, and so the notmuch new and unread message lists contain many
messages that I don't want to look at.  Ideally, I'd like a view in notmuch
that shows the same messages as the gmail inbox.  Is there a way to
accomplish this?
- b