[Patch v2 0/4] Control selection of From: header when replying

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Sun Feb 5 05:12:14 PST 2012

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 10:58:04 +0400, Dmitry Kurochkin <dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark.
>
> I am not sure I like this solution.  My concerns are:
>
> * New option looks too complex, too specific.

*shrug* The --from parameter is simple to implement, simple to test, and
simple to use.

> * There are more aspects of notmuch reply behavior which users would
>   like to change (e.g. which part to quote).  If we add an option for
>   each, we complicate both nomtuch show UI and code.

This I agree is more of an issue.

> The problem is that notmuch show output format is too limiting.  Instead
> of providing myriad of options for tweaking notmuch show text format
> behavior, we should add JSON format for notmuch reply similar to nomtuch
> show.  That would allow notmuch reply to produce structured output with
> required additional information, which should be enough for users to
> construct whatever reply they want.

Heh, when I told Mark on IRC to just send the patches and not discuss
and worry about it too much, I added "...and then someone will come up
with an approach we failed to think of, and scrap the whole
thing". Thanks Dmitry! ;)

> In this particular case, notmuch reply JSON format could have
> "from-source" attribute that would indicate how it was guessed.

My first thought is that it's offloading things that are trivial in the
cli to the users of the cli where it might be slightly more complicated,
but...

> Now the best part.  Not so long ago, Adam (in Cc) provided a patch for
> improving nomtuch reply for HTML-only emails.  At first he added an
> option for notmuch reply, like you did for from-guessing.  I suggested
> him to implement it based on the JSON format instead and he did.  AFAIK
> the latest version of his patches is [1].  I did not look at the code
> though.  It seems that it is waiting for more review.
>
> So, instead of adding more nomtuch show options, I think a better
> solution is to work with Adam to get the notmuch reply JSON format to
> master and then fix the from-guessing issue by adding an attribute to
> notmuch reply JSON format.

...no matter what the solution will be in the end, I agree it's best to
get Adam's work merged first, and see how easily this can be handled
using JSON vs. the parameter.

Thanks for your insights.

BR,
Jani.