[Patch v2 0/4] Control selection of From: header when replying

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 22:58:04 PST 2012

Hi Mark.

I am not sure I like this solution.  My concerns are:

* New option looks too complex, too specific.

* There are more aspects of notmuch reply behavior which users would
  like to change (e.g. which part to quote).  If we add an option for
  each, we complicate both nomtuch show UI and code.

The problem is that notmuch show output format is too limiting.  Instead
of providing myriad of options for tweaking notmuch show text format
behavior, we should add JSON format for notmuch reply similar to nomtuch
show.  That would allow notmuch reply to produce structured output with
required additional information, which should be enough for users to
construct whatever reply they want.

In this particular case, notmuch reply JSON format could have
"from-source" attribute that would indicate how it was guessed.

Now the best part.  Not so long ago, Adam (in Cc) provided a patch for
improving nomtuch reply for HTML-only emails.  At first he added an
option for notmuch reply, like you did for from-guessing.  I suggested
him to implement it based on the JSON format instead and he did.  AFAIK
the latest version of his patches is [1].  I did not look at the code
though.  It seems that it is waiting for more review.

So, instead of adding more nomtuch show options, I think a better
solution is to work with Adam to get the notmuch reply JSON format to
master and then fix the from-guessing issue by adding an attribute to
notmuch reply JSON format.

Regards,
  Dmitry

[1] id:"1326995217-27423-1-git-send-email-awg+notmuch at xvx.ca"