Improving notmuch query documentation [was: Re: Partial words on notmuch search?]

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Fri Jan 20 11:08:30 PST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:29:23 -0600, Austin Clements <amdragon at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Quoth Andrei Popescu on Jan 18 at 12:14 am:
> > On Lu, 16 ian 12, 21:34:31, Austin Clements wrote:
> > > Quoth Andrei Popescu on Jan 16 at 10:21 pm:
> > >
> > > Most of this is in the Xapian query syntax document you found.  Really
> > > we ought to beef-up Notmuch's query syntax documentation.
> >
> > If I get around to write something myself where do you suggest I should
> > start, the wiki or the manpage?
>
> Probably expanding man/man7/notmuch-search-terms.7 would be the way to
> go.

I would appreciate it if the limitations of id: search were explained
there too.  I have some rules that I would love to make based on pattern
matching the message-id of the message, because I have a tool that
generates scads of email and I want to be able to delete a lot of it.

I think that id: is only matchable as an entire string, and a
confirmation of that would be nice to see.

For those who cringe when hearing the mention of _deletion_ of emails,
do you have a suggestion for how many copies of bugs in the bug database
I should store in my mail repository?  Note that IT only gives me a
couple gigabytes of home directory storage, and I don't have an SSD
Linux laptop, so the index does eventually slow down.

In other words, there are plenty of emails I love to forget ever having
received. :)

-Mark