Updated remote script

Jesse Rosenthal jrosenthal at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 19 08:24:32 PST 2012

Dear all,

Just wanted to note that I finally got around to updating the
way-deprecated "remoteusage" wiki page[0], with a simplified
script, that takes into account comments that some have made in the
past.

Caching for attachments is gone, since the complications of part
handling vs. raw handling seems to have made it more trouble than it was
worth at the moment. (And because I do most of my work on a
well-connected machine.)

The big change in this script is that it uses dtach to set up a ssh
socket, rather than suggesting that users do so themselves with the
ControlMaster configuration option. This has the benefit of not making
anyone mess with ~/.ssh, and not impacting your other ssh work. It also
handles the issues of dead sockets on a laptop. (`ssh -Nf` seems like it
*should* work too, but emacs hangs when it is used in a script.) The
problem with this approach, of course, is that it requires dtach. A good
solution would be to (a) make the use of reusable ssh sockets optional,
and (b) allow it to use screen or tmux instead of dtach. Both would be
pretty easy, and I'll work on it at some point. But I figured getting a
two-year-old, broken script of the wiki would be a good first step.

[0] http://notmuchmail.org/remoteusage/

Best,
Jesse