RFC: tag macros

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Wed Jan 18 10:50:50 PST 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:45:06 -0400, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> The advantage of this rather than just writing lots of little lambdas is
> that it combines adding and deleting, and it could be done via
> customize.

Is all of this really easier than just adding the following to your
.emacs?:

(define-key notmuch-search-mode-map "o"
  (lambda ()
    (interactive)
    (notmuch-show-add-tag "notmuch::patch")
    (notmuch-show-add-tag "notmuch::obsolete")
    (notmuch-show-remove-tag "notmuch::needs-review")))

That seems really simple to me, and doesn't require us to support a
bunch of code to do complicated customization stuff.

Rather than have protracted conversations about key bindings or continue
to make more complicated configuration setups, I would like to push the
idea that we support a bunch of nice simple functions to do common,
useful operations (like tagging and navigation), and let users build
macros as they see fit.  I think this is a lot more flexible, and takes
a lot of the maintenance burden off of us.

I've been wanting to put together a wiki page that lists all the useful
functions and has examples of how to put them together into useful
functions.

jamie.