Infinite loop in emacs interface

Rodney Lorrimar dev at rodney.id.au
Tue Jan 17 14:44:40 PST 2012

Hi,

Actually, this is starting to look like a problem with gnus in the
latest emacs-snapshot.

I didn't notice before, but when I view the thread, I get this error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable gnus-inhibit-images)
  mm-shr((#<buffer  *temp*> ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
  mm-inline-text-html((#<buffer  *temp*> ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
  mm-display-inline((#<buffer  *temp*> ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
  mm-display-part((#<buffer  *temp*> ("text/html") nil nil nil nil nil nil))
  notmuch-show-mm-display-part-inline(...snipped...)
  notmuch-search-show-thread(nil)
  call-interactively(notmuch-search-show-thread nil nil)

Someone seems to have come across it quite a while ago.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-11/msg00625.html

This is quite strange because the previous emacs snapshot (20120105) was
working OK.

Running this code before viewing the thread seems to remove the error
and stop the infinite loop:

(defvar gnus-inhibit-images nil "*testing")
(set-variable 'gnus-inhibit-images nil)

But that's about the extent of my elisp knowledge. I'm not sure how to
actually fix the bug.

Cheers,

Rodney