on deleting messages

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Tue Jan 17 11:01:45 PST 2012

Now that Austin's excellent tag exclusion patch set [0] has been pushed,
the question remains if we want to support any delete-handling key
bindings in emacs.

Based on the show-mode improvements I recently sent [1], the following
patch set implements thread and message delete keys.

This is the last I'm going to comment on this issue.  If we don't want
to support this, we should put together something on the wiki that
states we don't want to support it and that users should just bind it
themselves (with a nice explanation how), so that we can try to reduce
the number of future patches on the issue.

Given the number of patches we've had on this issue, though, it's clear
that a lot of people expect this functionality, so we may want to
seriously consider supporting it.  Given Austin's tag exclusion stuff,
and the fact that "deleted" tags are excluded by default, we now have
the functionality that Carl originally wanted to see, so it's not so
unreasonable to support this functionality anymore.

jamie.

[0] id:"1326496024-14403-1-git-send-email-amdragon at mit.edu"
[1] id:"871uqy19yo.fsf at servo.finestructure.net"