Partial words on notmuch search?

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Tue Jan 17 09:43:54 PST 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:34:31 -0500, Austin Clements <amdragon at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Quoth Andrei Popescu on Jan 16 at 10:21 pm:
> > This is also interesting:
> > $ notmuch count 'debian'
> > 65888
> > $ notmuch count 'dEbian'
> > 65888
> > $ notmuch count 'Debian'
> > 65887
>
> The first two will match stemmed versions of "debian" such as
> "debian's" and "debianed".  However, starting a term with a capital
> letter suppresses stemming (because it suggests that it's a name,
> which you wouldn't want to modify), so your last query matches only
> the term "debian".  This is probably documented somewhere, though I
> don't know where.

Interesting. Is this done when adding the terms to the database, or when
searching? I presume the latter. How much control does notmuch have over
this?

The assumption that one wouldn't want to have stemming for names is very
much language dependent. [1]

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_noun_cases (the same works for