revised patch for gmime init, with test.

Pieter Praet pieter at praet.org
Thu Jan 12 09:25:38 PST 2012

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 23:22:46 -0400, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> It turns out that our existing (trivial) python test is enough to
> catch this bug, but the corpus needs to be augmented.  This
> augmentation is a bit intrusive so I'm thinking of cherry-picking only
> the actual fix to the release branch.

Due to the ~same change being applied in multiple places (and thus
with differing hashes), this has the potential of causing confusion
and/or quite some extra work when debugging using git-bisect(1), so
I'd like to propose that bugfixes for (to-be-)released code are only
applied on the 'maint' branch ('release' in the case of Notmuch),
and then immediately merged back into 'master'.  In fact, this would
preferrably happen after *every* (series of) commit(s) on the 'maint'
branch, to prevent issues like [1].

In this specific case (g_mime_init fix), it would have sufficed to
apply the test suite augmentation patches on 'master' and the bugfix
only on 'maint', merging 'maint' into 'master', and then removing
the "test_subtest_known_broken" line in a followup commit on 'master'.

Thus, maintainers would have fewer merge conflicts to resolve,
developers would at all times benefit from release-specific fixes,
and (pre-)release users would have clear indication of what was fixed
due to the test suite reporting "FIXED" instead of "PASS".

Thanks!

> Unfortunately the test message is 8 bit, so it may be encoded in some
> inconvenient way for patch application. The message is attached to an
> earlier message in the thread if you want to double check.
>
> I also wondered about putting g_type_init inside the (!initialized)
> test, but decided against it on the grounds of minimality.
>
> I think we want to in the medium term factor out all of the
> initialization code into one (probably private) function; we can clean
> things up a bit more then.

Peace

--
Pieter