Info about notmuch database

boyska piuttosto at logorroici.org
Sat Jan 7 03:48:57 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 05:35:55PM +0100, Thomas Jost wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:38:07 +0100, boyska <piuttosto at logorroici.org> wrote:
> > > There's a description of the DB "schema" in lib/database.cc in the
> > > notmuch source code. But you may also consider just using libnotmuch
> > > instead, if that's enough for what you want to do.
> >
> > thanks, found it, much clearer now.
> > But I really can't understand why not just putting these things on a
> > separate file :) atomic consistency issues?
>
> I doubt it's for consistency (see commit 824dad76), more likely it's
> because people should use libnotmuch rather than directly hacking into
> the DB ;)

Fine; I'll probably keep the whole output of "find" as the data of a
SINGLE entry, instead of one entry for directory. This just seems easier
to me.

> Do you plan to use this addressbook with notmuch-address.el, or will it
> be a standalone program?

It will be a standalone program, meant to be used with mutt-query [1].
So just call "notmany thomas" on commandline, and your email will
appear.
I don't use emacs, so I won't write an emacs tool (nor I know how
notmuch-address.el works), but I am trying to keep library and UI
separate, so writing a wrapper suitable for emacs is possible, and
probably very easy.

[1] http://wiki.mutt.org/?QueryCommand