RFC: use the XDG Base Directory Specification for configuration data

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Wed Dec 21 03:44:16 PST 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:19:38 +0100, Justus Winter <4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> I'd like to propose to store notmuchs configuration in
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/notmuch/config as suggested in the XDG Base Directory
> Specification [0].

Can you use NOTMUCH_CONFIG to achieve what you want?

On my machine all of the programs (except nottoomuch ;) ) that use
~/.config are gui based, and a bunch of them store binary blobs (or not
plain text anyway) there. It might be irrational, but I don't really
want notmuch to be associated with that crowd ;).

> Similarly $XDG_DATA_HOME/nmbug might be a more appropriate location
> for nmbugs git checkout than ~/.nmbug.

Similarly the environment variable NMBGIT is available.