[alot] Introducing myself, asking various questions

Krzysztof Ilowiecki k at ilowiecki.com
Sun Dec 18 15:02:33 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 20:32, Patrick Totzke
<patricktotzke at googlemail.com> wrote:
> If you're interested: Sebastian (spaetz) is looking for
> a replacement to fork on the python bindings to libnotmuch.
> A rewrite in cython would be great.

I'll have a look, but I've never tried cython and this sounds like
someone more experienced would be preferred.

> I guess most of us use offlineimap or getmail in combination
> with notmuch. And Debian is also popular choice afaik,
I was going to use getmail, but alot docs nudged me towards offlineimap
:)

>>How likely is it to mess things up in IMAP?
> It being offlineimap? dependss on your config but I have no trouble
> with it.

It being the whole stack, mainly alot - i.e. some bug that would mess up
the local copy which then would get synced up imap. I think I'm going to
try it with a live account anyway:)

>>I understand synchronisation across machines and with IMAP is something
>>of an issue so far. How bad would it be to use git for that - and for
>>'undo'? It would appear some people use git+maildir even instead of
>>IMAP, but I guess the notmuch's database may be completely unsuitable...
>
> Davd Bremner has been working on logging integration, which
> is focused on enabling tag syncronization in future releases i believe.

I am going to have a closer look at this. TBH it sounds a bit confusing
how logging is related to syncing, I guess it's more like a journal
rather than like /var/log

> Also check out nmbug, that uses git for notmuch bugtracking.

Does it mean it's possible to sync the database via git, which would in
principle enable putting everything in git? I guess it is much more
complex than it sounds, I will have a closer look.

>>Does alot have some sort of the design documentation,
> There are fairly complete api docs available at alot.rtfd.org

Thank you, these are very nice api docs indeed.
However, I meant something more like design goals, ui sketches, diagrams
with features not necessarily implemented yet. I guess this is mostly in
the developers' mind rather than on paper/bytes.

>>sketched vision it is heading towards?
> world domination, obviously :)

oh, now I see why the diagrams are confidential :)

>>I think I should write down my ideas before I get
>>too entangled in the implementation details, it would be good to
>>know if something like this is already available.
> check out the issue tracker on https://github.com/pazz/alot/issues ,
> I'm using github to coordinate work on alot.

Great, this looks like a very useful issue tracker.

Thanks alot for your reply!:)