[alot] announcing v0.2 aka. "robot santa"

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:38:46 PST 2011

Thx Adrian & Jamie!

It would be great to get it into Debian, yes. I will have a look at Debian packaging if we
don't find a more capable volunteer in the next few weeks.
Thanks for your initial work on this.

While we're at it: I heard that there are some build scripts for Arch and Gentoo around.
If you authored one of these step forward: I'd gladly include them to the git repo.

Quoting Jameson Graef Rollins (2011-12-12 00:14:10)
>Hey, Patrick.  I'm guessing this isn't actually an alot issue, but when
>I start up alot I get the following message to the terminal:
>
>/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/zope/__init__.py:3: UserWarning: Module argparse was already imported from /usr/lib/python2.7/argparse.pyc, but /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages is being added to sys.path
>  import pkg_resources
>
>Any idea what's going on there?

I have seen this before yes. It seems to be a problem with the python distribution on
debian. Apparently, you have two different versions of the argparse module installed: As
of 2.7, argparse is part of the standard lib, but debian ships a separate package
python-argparse.

What happens is that I import argparse to alot, which happens to pick the one from
"/usr/lib/python2.7/argparse.pyc". Now zope (a 2nd order dependency) explicitly imports
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/argparse.pyc" and warns that its overloading this
namespace.

Also see https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/distribute/+bug/810019 for a
similar problem with python-distribute, particularly comment #9.

Best,
/p