RFC: don't ask users to do 'sudo make install'

Justus Winter 4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Dec 7 04:25:45 PST 2011

Hey everyone,

I just noticed that running configure says:

> All required packages were found. You may now run the following
> commands to compile and install notmuch:
>
>        make
>        sudo make install

I think that this is a very poor advice in general and we shouldn't
give it to users. I know that the default prefix is /usr/local, but
installing notmuch this way makes it very hard to uninstall it later
(there is no uninstall target).

If someone decides to install notmuch from source and later on using
his or her favorite package manager, the once installed notmuch in
/usr/local will still be found and before the one in /usr and thus be
preferred.

Maybe we should mention stow (https://www.gnu.org/s/stow/)?

Justus