'notmuch new' leaking memory and getting slower over time?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Nov 21 14:35:34 PST 2011

This weekend up updated my notmuch version to the 0.10 rc2 version
available in Debian/unstable, and made a few observations I would like
to share.  I rebuilt the source on Debian/Squeeze to get it working for
the machine I use to read email, and patched it to get the unsorted dump
before building it.  The reason is that my mail store contain slightly
more than 1.2 million emails at the moment, and just dumping the tags
take hours without the unsorted dump patch.  With the patch it took 40
minutes.  After dumping the tags, I moved away the .notmuch index and
started reindexing using 'notmuch new'.

The indexing took 36 hours.  At the start it claimed it would take 10
hours, and it continued to underestimate the amount of time left until
the very end.  It claimed to have 1 hour left when I checked before I
went to bed, and claimed to have 15 minutes left when I woke up 6-7
hours later.

Shortly before the indexing finished, the notmuch process was using 1.2
GiB of resident memory according to top.  Is the process leaking memory?

Running 'notmuch restore' to get my tags back took 106 minutes, and I
was very surprised that the restore could not load all the tags stored
by 'notmuch dump'.  The restore complained about this line:

  NO*TELEMAX**NORWAYII  M0018001012307699038 (unread usit year-2002)

The message in question is a bounce from some X400 mail system, and its
message id look like this:

I would like 'notmuch new' to use less memory and be better at
estimating the time left, and would also like 'notmuch restore' to
always be able to load the output from 'notmuch dump'.
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen