Configure mail responses headers to use Gcc anddddd not Fcc header in Emacs

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Sun Nov 13 09:21:51 PST 2011

Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using notmuch together with a local dovecot imap server, and with
> Gnus in Emacs.
>
> When sending mails from notmuch, I'd like to be able to have a
> nnimap+localdovecot:Sentmail added for instance, instead of a Fcc
> header.
>
> Is this possible ?

Responding to myself.

The problem was that I had removed the Fcc addition made by notmuch hook
as it was redundant when sending mails with Gnus, which uses a Gcc.

But I cannot seem to use Gnu's Gcc in mail sent from withing notmuch,
actually.

So I've made it so that Gnus won't add a Gcc, and so that Fcc is set
correctly for my local dovecot.

So, in the end, I have customized these variables :

 '(gnus-outgoing-message-group
       (lambda nil
               (goto-char (point-max))
               (cond
                  ((message-field-value "Fcc")
                   "nnimap+localdovecot:Sentmail")
               (t nil))))
 '(message-directory "~/Maildir/")
 '(notmuch-fcc-dirs ".Sentmail")

So in notmuch, Fcc makes it saving the file in my ~/Maildir/.Sentmail/cur
which suits dovecot, and if I'm sending from Gnus, the Gcc is set
according to my nnimap folder definitions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER