Displaying tags with many messages very slow in Emacs

bnt webservice at bontempi.net
Tue Nov 1 06:36:27 PDT 2011

On 2011, Oct 31, at 19:25 , Daniel Schoepe wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:43:22 +0100, bnt <webservice at bontempi.net> wrote:
>> I am not too proficient with the patch utility. Is there some kind of
>> scheduled git commits timeline?
>
> Unfortunately, there's a huge number of outstanding patches at the
> moment, so it's impossible to say when/if it will be applied.
>
>> If not, I guess it will be a good time to learn patching.
>
> There's no need to use the patch binary directly when the patches are
> sent in a format git understands, which is generally the case here. To
> apply patches from a thread, you can use `git am patches.mbox' where
> patches.mbox contains the mails with the patches.
>
> If you're using the emacs UI for notmuch, you can open only those
> messages with the patches you want in a thread and pipe them to an mbox
> file like this:
>
> C-u | cat > ~/patches.mbox
>
> If there are no conflicts due to more recent changes to the repository,
> git am patches.mbox will apply them using the commit messages from the
> mails.
>
> FWIW: There's another more recent series of patches that accomplishes a
> similar goal: id:"cover.1319833617.git.jani at nikula.org"
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Thank you so much for the explanation, and thanks to Jani for those patches.

I will work my way into applying them.

As just a plain user, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a "dev" or "untested" branch in the git repo, where one could just get all the latest patches?

Of course it would not be desirable if it would just complicate the developers life.

Thank you so much once again,

Sam