how do you do everyday mail catchup with notmuch? (was: Re: search for date received possible?)

Daniel Schoepe daniel at schoepe.org
Tue Oct 25 11:51:05 PDT 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:31:01 +0200, Gregor Zattler <telegraph at gmx.net> wrote:
> How do you make sure you don't miss emails while using notmuch?

My setup is similar to Thomas Jost's setup described in his reply to
this, except for a few points:

- I am subscribed to many mailing lists, but read few of them
  regularly/daily, so I automatically remove the inbox tag from them in
  my tagging script and add a tag for the list it's been sent to.

- I have a keybinding to add a "killed" tag to a thread in a search
  buffer. My sorting script automatically adds a killed tag to any
  message in a thread that's been killed. (This is inspired by Ben
  Gamari's setup[1]).

- I have a few keybindings to display all messages or unread messages
  with a given tag. These keybindings automatically add a "and not
  tag:killed" to the query in order to use my previous mechanism.

- My sorting script also adds a special tag to threads I have replied to
  and all subsequent messages in that thread. Unread messages having
  that tag are displayed more prominently via a saved search, so that I
  don't miss messages in threads that I participated in (and am
  presumably more interested in than other threads).

- Mail that isn't from a mailing list ends up in my inbox and I
  explicitly archive/retag that after reading it.

That way I don't get to see every thread on every mailing list that I
subscribed to, unless I specifically ask to see that list, but I find
this more comfortable than having to decide for each new thread whether
I will want to read that or not.

[1] http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2011/003976.html /
    id:"87tyfu3k5a.fsf at gmail.com"

Cheers,