[RFC/PATCH] notmuch link

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Thu Oct 6 07:42:12 PDT 2011

On Tue 04 Oct 2011 00:15, Ali Polatel <polatel at gmail.com> writes:

> Ali Polatel yazmış:
>>
>>This mail is merely a request for comments and testing.
>
> Sigh...
> I have just noticed "notmuch show" learned --format=mbox which makes
> this patch rather pointless for me. This changeset will keep living
> under my notmuch repository possibly without receiving any updates.
>
>>Ali Polatel (1):
>>  link: Add new command

The 'link' feature would have been pretty cool as the linking goes
blazingly fast. But, the unfortunate side effect of this would be
that if the file referenced by link is modified, the original file gets
modified.I personally don't want this to happen after the mail is delivered
unless I intentionally do it (my delivered mails filenames are generated
from the md5sum of the original content, so re-comparing all content
will reveal what files been modified :D)

If one of the goals of notmuch is to not to change the contents of mail
files and avoid this happening accidentally by other programs (referencing
files in configured 'path' from other programs considered non-accidental
action) then this feature should just be dropped (but not forgotten so it
doesn't get re-implemented).

>         -alip

Tomi