tag sharing

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Thu Oct 6 05:56:43 PDT 2011

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:46:57 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:20:00 -0400, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal at jhu.edu> wrote:
> > After a conversation with David last year about bug-tracking, I worked
> > up a rough python-based prototype of this. It worked in terms of
> > namespaces, so Carl could associate the namespace "public" with a list
> > of tags he publishes to a http-accessable location. And you could
> > associate the namespace "cworth" with those same tags.
>
> This sounds very cool, Jesse.  Very git-like.  I like it.

Warning: git fanboi-ism ahead.

I like the concept too. But I worry a bit that we are re-inventing
things that could be done by git.  What do people think about a similar
namespace import export tool where we rely on git for a transport layer,
and for merging, conflict-resolution, and history tracking. Of course
there are details to be settled, but before I try to work them out,
would anyone like to convince me the idea is fundementally wrong headed?
Jesse, do you remember why you decided to roll your own?  I agree it is
subjective what is easier, but I think we have enough people comfortable
with git that collaborative maintenence of a bug-tag git repo would be
pretty easy.