How does notmuch detect the presence of attachments?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Aug 30 14:51:57 PDT 2011

On 08/30/2011 02:22 AM, Jason Woofenden wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>  [textconverters]
>>  application/pdf=pdf2txt /dev/stdin
>
> Sounds awesome. I'd love the feature, and this sounds like a good
> way to do it. Or maybe we should use a mailcap file like mutt
> does... it has some useful features like nametemplate and maybe
> test.

hm, interesting suggestion.   I don't know enough about mailcap to know
whether it makes more sense to adopt it directly or to use a
notmuch-specific configuration.

One difference: mailcap seems to be about displaying/editing data to the
user (including, for example, opening a graphical window to display a
JPEG), whereas we need to set up a mechanism to convert whatever kind of
document we get into plain text to feed it into xapian.  So we couldn't
fully piggy-back on the mailcap infrastructure, if i'm reading the
mailcap documentation correctly.  notmuch would need to use its own
mime-types file.

Anyone with more experience with this stuff (or stronger opinions) have
any insight on what approach makes more sense?

> I as a user can decide that I'd like to run `abiword -t txt` on
> application/msword and application/rtf mime parts. If there's a
> security issue with abiword that someone can exploit by sending me
> an e-mail, then FML, but at least I won't be mad at the notmuch
> developers.

exactly :)

	--dkg