date_relative in notmuch-search

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Jul 18 12:07:21 PDT 2011

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 22:04:59 +0100, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip with git send-mail.

Hi, Patrick.  You might have noticed my response to Felix a little while
ago.  The git format-patch command outputs an email that is meant to be
sent directly to the list, not as an attachment on another message.  The
git send-email command should actually handle sending the mails
(assuming you have a working sendmail-like MTA on your machine.  I would
recommend using git send-email to send patches to the list.

Try resending these two patches as their own emails.

> I didn't really intend to get this "patch" accepted. It was more that
> I feel bad asking for features all the time and as I'm not so
> comfortable with hacking on the notmuch code I thought I'd ask if one
> could implement it like this.  Anyhow, attached you'll find a patch
> for the test and another for the proposed change. Feel free to discard
> it :)

But this is exactly how features get added!  If you want a feature added
to notmuch, send in a patch for it.  Otherwise you'll have to just wait
until someone else submits a patch to do the same thing, which may or
may not ever happen.  It's a community-run project, developed by those
that use the program (which includes you!).  Since you've already done
the work to figure out what needed to be changed, all you need to do now
is follow the procedure I've outlined to publish the patch to the list,
and eventually, hopefully, Carl will get around to pulling it in to the
notmuch master repo.

jamie.