xapian exceptions not caught in python bindings?

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 17 12:35:38 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I know this issue is not easy to fix and that it's partly a problem
with xapians bad error handling. I just want to state another problem we run
into with xapians exceptions in combination with the python bindings.
If you run the following snippet, you notice that not only do we get
xapian-garbage on stderr but we don't really get any exceptions at the
position where it would make sense:

--------------------------------
from notmuch import Database
bad_querystring = "test AND"

# This should raise a NotmuchError and query should be NoneType
query = Database().create_query(bad_querystring)

# this prints to stderr but returns a Threads object.
threads = query.search_threads()

# this finally raises a NotmuchError(STATUS.NOT_INITIALIZED)
for t in threads: print t
--------------------------------

Although the querystring is invalid syntactically, the query object gets
instantiated and can of course not behave as it should later on.
From a user point of view it is really quite strange that only later
(if one iterates over threads) an exception is raised.

One solution that comes to mind here is simply bending sys.sdterr to something internal,
interpreting its output and raising the correct exceptions accordingly.
The downside is, this would have to happen every time the library gets called.
Also, a fix like this would be python specific, so everybody else would still get
garbage printed to stderr occasionally.

Thoughts anyone?
/p