Impending release 0.6.1, Debian versioning scheme.

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sun Jul 17 09:21:50 PDT 2011

I'm about ready to roll a bug fix release 0.6.1.

You can take a look at

    git://pivot.cs.unb.ca/notmuch.git
    branch: release

This fixes two annoying bugs:

     The debian packages now depend strictly on the same version
     libnotmuch (thanks ukleink). This makes upgrades slightly more
     robust in the face of query syntax changes.

     (Some of) the Xapian symbols are back. This fixes termination with
     uncaught exceptions on (at least) gcc 4.4.5. Thanks to jvalroff,
     among others for reporting this. This is a pre-requisite for a
     backport to Debian Squeeze.

I snuck in a few changes to the "make release" target, essentially what
I posted in  "1309781021-32062-1-git-send-email-david at tethera.net". At
the moment those only really affect Carl and I (although one of the
things I tried to do is make it more possible for for everybody to run
the release related targets).

Another change is that the Debian packages will become non-native (at
least until we change our minds again).  This will make it easier to
make uploads of just Debian packaging fixes. This will not involve any
seperate branch or repo for debian packaging.

I want to get this out the door so we can concentrate on the 0.7
release. So far this will have only python and vim changes, but I live
in hope of the atomicity series of amdragon and the jrollins rfc822 fix
making it in.

If anybody finds showstoppers, let me know before say 2359UTC, otherwise
I'll follow the wise words of Grace Hopper and ask forgiveness later.