bug? notmuch earch doesn't search threads

Pieter Praet pieter at praet.org
Sat Jul 16 07:26:04 PDT 2011

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 08:37:52 -0400, Jason Woofenden <jason at jasonwoof.com> wrote:
> I added tag:me to all messages from me.
>
> Then I added this to my index page:
>
> tag:notmuch and tag:unread and tag:me
>
> So my attention could be drawn to threads I'd participated in,
> which had new messages. (This list has enough traffic that I won't
> always keep up).
>
> It didn't work though. I assume because no single message has all
> those tags. (The ones with tag:me lack tag:unread and maybe
> tag:notmuch.)
>
> If this is not a bug, and you want it to only find messages that
> match, and not threads that match, then I make this feature
> request:
>
> I want a way to do the above: to search for threads that have the
> tags I'm looking for (but not necessarily all in the same message
> within the thread.)

That is indeed expected behaviour.

Filters can help you out though. Bind this to a key:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (lambda()
    (notmuch-search "tag:notmuch AND tag:unread")
    (notmuch-search-filter "tag:me"))
#+END_SRC

> The vim ui is exclusively thread-based, and the notmuch manpage
> says it's thread-based... I want thread-based searching! :)
>
> Thanks,    - Jason
>
> P.S. I submitted (my first) 6 patches to this list on Monday, and
> have not gotten a reply or seen them merged. Is there something
> more I should do, or should I just be patient?

The Notmuch project is in the unique position of being the product of
Carl's (legimitate) dislike of email (see his talk @ LCA2011 [1]), so
it's safe to say patches may take some time to pass the gatekeeper.
Don't worry, your patience will be rewarded.

Peace

--
Pieter

[1] http://blip.tv/linuxconfau/notmuch-what-email-should-be-4745130