Notmuch mail notifier applet for Gnome?

Albin Stjerna albin at eval.nu
Tue Jul 12 15:02:06 PDT 2011

Hi all

I've been using a simple notmuch count-based script together with xmobar in xmonad to notify me of new mail. However, I'm thinking of switching to a Gnome/xmonad-based combo, thus giving up xmobar. I've been looking for a replacement to my mail checker that would work with gnome-panel, but so far I haven't found any. I'm sure there has to be at least one Gnome user on the notmuch mailing list, so I thought I'd ask for help.

How are you solving this? Basically anything that would display a notification icon if a given shell command returned true would suffice, though I'd prefer something that would also display a given text (read: a short fom of the specified query and the mail count for it, something like: »personal: 10« – possibly during mouse over).

Thanks in advance,
  Albin